Newsletter June 22nd, 2018:
Azoteq multi-sensor solutions for earphones and hearables
With their high sensitivity and low power consumption, Azoteq has a lot of experience in battery powered devices bringing robust touch performance as well as unique UI features using proximity and touch capacitive sensing.
The release of ProxFusion™, combining several sensors in the same chipset platform, allows to take this one step further and bring up to 4 sensors in the same real estate: Hall effect, active IR, inductive sensing and capacitive proximity and touch sensing.
In earphones and hearables where space is very limited but more and more features are being added for the user convenience, this allows for better UI while saving board space and increasing the reliability by having a sensor hub.
IQS620A and IQS622 are two solutions that can bring this to life:
- IQS620A includes 1x HALL effect channel and 2x capacitive sensing channels and 1x inductive sensing channel
- IQS622includes 1x HALL effect channel and 2x capacitive sensing channels and 1 active IR channel
The corresponding features can be but not limited to:
- Hall effect for magnet clipping detection to turn ON/OFF connectivity
- Capacitive sensing for:
- 2 touch keys for play/pause
- 1 touch key (play/pause) and 1 proximity detection (wear detect or automatic play/pause)
- 2-channel swipe with MCU code
- Active IR for additional wear detect information with capacitive sensing (only on IQS622)
- Inductive sensing for case detection (only on IQS620A)
These chipsets intelligent power mode switching allow for power saving only using sensors relevant in a given scenario.
IQS622 comes in a DMA 9-pin package (3.94x2.36x1.37mm) and IQS620A in DFN(3x3)-10 and WLCSP-9 (1.5x1.1x0.4mm) packages. (WLCSP-9 package available Q1 2018)
An example of these features in a earphone form factor can be seen here.